At this time, please call and schedule your IV Therapy, Dysport, and Covid event testing appointments instead of using the Patient Portal. Hope to see you soon. Thank you!
Did you know that The Grove offers Dysport? That paired with our lunch time visits means you never will get behind on your Dysport schedule! We offer $7 per unit, and $5 per unit when you enroll in our Dysport program ($250 a year). Call to schedule a consultation today! Most patients can get treatment at consultation pending no contraindications to treatment, not on NSAIDs or aspirin, and no alcohol in the last 72 hours. We look forward to seeing if this treatment is right for you!
What is Dysport Cosmetic?
- Dysport is a treatment, like Botox, is a treatment for wrinkles caused by repeated movements. The most commonly treated areas include:
- the lines around the eyes known as crows feet caused by squinting or smiling
- the horizontal lines across the forehead caused by raising the eyebrows
- the lines & folding of skin between the eyebrows caused by frowning
How effective is Dysport at treating wrinkles?
- Dysport is a cosmetic medication, and like any medication it will not always be exact in terms of desired outcomes. With optimal dosing and a trained cosmetic professional, about 4 out of 5 patients can expect to be satisfied by their treatments by the end of the first month, with results maintaining for about 2 months, after which they will gradually diminish.
- For the most effective treatment, patients should remain on a regular injection schedule. While it is not a cure for wrinkles, it’s still a very effective treatment.
Is Dysport safe?
- Yes! Dysport and its equivalents like Botox have been available for 20 years and have been used to treat many diseases. In fact, it is used in children as young as 2 years old to treat cerebral palsy.
Is Dysport a poison?
- No, it is not poison and it is not toxic to you. The product is a natural, purified protein. It is an approved drug that is used in VERY tiny doses. It comes from a naturally occurring bacterium – similar to how Penicillin comes from mold.
How does Dysport work?
- Dysport works by simply relaxing the muscles underneath the skin to create a smooth and refreshed appearance.
How long does the procedure take?
- Generally, after the consultation, the procedure only takes up to 15 minutes. Since there is no downtime, you can do it on your lunchtime, and no one would know you have had it done.
How quickly does Dysport work?
- It can take UP TO 2 weeks for it to take full effect. Usually, we ask patients to wait for the 14 days to pass in order to fully see the results.
How is Dysport done?
- It is injected with a very tiny needle (it only feels like a little pinch).
What if I do not feel my Dysport treatment worked?
- Dysport takes up to 14 days to take full effect. You will need to wait until the full 2 weeks has passed and then please call if you have any concerns. If it has been more than 2 weeks, then book an appointment so that your treatment can be assessed and to see if you require a supplemental injection.
How long does Dysport last? Is it permanent?
- No. Dysport is not permanent. It lasts between 3-4 months on average, but everyone is different. If you promptly receive treatments every 3 months, then your treatments may start to last longer than 3 months.
Does Dysport hurt?
- Most patients say the injections feel similar to a little pinch, although everyone is different. We usually hear those patients say, “Is that all?”
- You might experience a little bleeding at the injection sites. This does not always happen but there is no need to panic if it does.
Is it going to be worse when it wears off?
- No. Your face will never get worse if you stop using Dysport or when it wears off. At the very minimum, you will simply return to where you started. If you use Dysport for a number of years and then stop, your muscles learn to relax and therefore, you will end up looking a little better than when you originally started.
How much does Dysport cost?
- The cost of treatment varies by each patient and a personal consultation can give you a specific amount. The Grove charges $7 per unit and the number of units you will need can be determined during your consultation. For those that are our Dysport members, which is a one-time $250 initiation fee, the cost goes down to $5 per unit.
What are the side effects of Dysport?
- Side effects are rare and are not permanent. rarely, there can be some minor bruising or a light short-term headache. Most patients do not experience any side effects at all.
I have heard that you can get a drooping eyelid – is this true?
- Side effects are rare and are not permanent and this can include a drooping eyelid. The incidence of these side effects is less than 1% and will last from only a few days to a few weeks. Most patients do not experience any side effects at all.
Where does Dysport go in my body?
- Dysport stays local to the muscle where it was injected. After the injection, it simply metabolizes and breaks down into natural by-products.
How many units of Botox and Dysport will patients need for frown lines?
- The units of Botox and Dysport will be different from patient to patient. However, based on previous patients, you can expect to receive the following units:
- Botox: 15 – 25 units
- Dysport: 45 – 60 units
What areas can Botox and Dysport be injected?
- Botox Cosmetic and Dysport can be administered on forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet lines around the eyes, and the “11 lines” between the eyebrows. Other advanced areas are the following:
- “Bunny lines” on the sides of the nose
- Nasal flare reduction
- Corners of the mouth
Can Botox and Dysport be injected under the eye?
- Yes. An advanced healthcare professional is able to administer Botox and Dysport under the eye to help with the tissue that folds to create “gummy” bears under the eye. However, there is higher risk of bleeding in this area as this area is vascular, bruising can occur on rare occasions.
Pre-Instructions for Dysport
- Patients must disclose to the provider if they have had any previous neuromodulator treatments as those who have received treatment in the last 2 months should be excluded.
- To help avoid bruising, patients are recommended to discontinue use of blood thinning medication.
- Patients must consult their primary care physician prior to discontinuing use of any medication.
- Prior to treatment, your healthcare provider will remove makeup from the injections site.
Post Treatment Instructions for Botox and Dysport
- Do not rub or massage the treated areas for 4 hours after your treatment.
- Do not do strenuous exercise for 4 hours after treatment. Also avoid facials or saunas for 4 hours after your treatment. This will minimize the risk of raising your blood pressure and therefore minimize the risk of temporary bruising. Feel free to shower and go about most other regular daily activities.
- Do not lie down for 4 hours after treatment. This is to avoid the risk of pressure on the treated areas (from your pillow) and to avoid the risk of having the area rubbed accidentally.
- Results of your treatment can take up to 14 days to take full effect. Please wait until 14 days have passed to assess the results of your Botox and Dysport treatment.